Ayurvedic Diet to Improve Gut Health
What is gut health?
Today, digestive and gut health have become a common concern for most people. Many people complain about imbalanced digestive health.
The gut includes various parts of the digestive tract and gut health refers to the right balance of the microorganisms that live in the digestive tract. The microorganisms consist of good bacteria that promote your overall wellness and bad that can lead to illness. People affected by gut health need to have a good digestive system.
It is significant to explore the right balance of these microorganisms, find ways to improvise physical and mental health, and increase immunity. While Allopathy (modern medicine) is a recent treatment procedure, Ayurveda is popularly known to be evolved from ancient times (thousands of years ago) effectively in improvising the people’s health utilizing life and science naturally.
The Best Ways To Improve Gut Health With Ayurvedic Diet
It is important to understand the best ways of ayurvedic diet to improve gut health. The entire system of ‘ayurvedic science’ deals with the wellness regime through a healthy diet.
Ayurvedic medicine consists of the qualities of the five elements, widely known as earth, air, fire, water, and space. And all these elements make up three doshas essential for mind-body types. These three doshas are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Each dosha is correlated to the different functions of the body that helps in maintaining good health.
The ayurvedic diet pattern goes back thousands of years. It is based on the ayurvedic principles of identifying the right dosha for your gut health improvement.
So, why eat according to the doshas? You need to be energetic and three doshas –
- Vata composed of ‘space and air’ is associated with movement
- Pitta comprises of ‘fire and water’ is associated with the body’s metabolism
- Kapha formed from ‘earth and water’ is associated with the body’s structure
Ayurvedic diet is the way of eating food that nourishes your body, includes breath, emotions, and sensory perception. Furthermore, the basic principle of Ayurveda states that if Agni is not in the right balance state then, whatever you have consumed might not accurately nourish your body.
How To Improve Gut Health Naturally Ayurveda?
Irrespective of any doshas that you follow, there are few practices of ayurvedic diet to improve gut health that helps in increasing digestions:
- Daily, you need to put a habit of drinking warm water. Sipping warm water can help in improvising digestion and boost the body’s metabolism.
- Take time to chew the food. It aids in stimulating digestion as the particles of the food you take are broken down, which eventually helps in producing digestive enzymes.
- Traditional spices aids in improvising your digestion. Fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom, and ginger are all frequently added to ayurvedic recipes.
- Exercise and Walking are important aspects to maintain good health. Depending on your doshas and your ayurvedic practitioner, follow recommended exercises that are required for your overall health regime.
As per the Ayurvedic medicine for improvising digestions and balancing your gut health, it is important to understand the types of Agni, where and how it functions and their significance for ayurvedic nutrition. Agni or fire is responsible for the digestive functions of the body.
The Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Counsellor (ADLC) Program at the Ayurveda Association of Singapore (AAOS) will help you understand the different ways of ayurvedic diet to improve gut health. Following the Ayurvedic diet will help you to achieve a healthy gut.