Ayurveda Foundation Certificate Course (AFCC)
Looking to deepen your own practice and knowledge?
When learning Ayurveda, one has to understand the body (sharira) from the lenses of ayurveda. According to ayurveda, the body(sharira) is not just the gross body but encompasses the unseen live force (prana) and the mental (manas) and the consciousness or True Self (atma). Every aspect influences one another.
The AFCC program is designed specifically to help you understand the foundational principles of ayurveda which include the 5 Great States (panchamahabhuta), the dosha (vata, pitta, kapha), digestion (agni), body structure (sharira) and the mind (manas). The panchamahabuta, and dosha (vata, pitta and kapha) are the building blocks of ayurveda upon which everything else (diet, lifestyle, treatment, herbs, daily and seasonal routine, and so on) rest.
According to ayurveda, each of us has a unique constitution (prakriti) and a “one-solution-fits-all” will not apply for everyone. What is good for a vata prakriti is not suitable for kapha prakriti. All herbs are neither good nor bad, they all are dependent on various factors. Eg garlic has excellent healing properties but is not necessarily good for a pitta prakriti and in fact can cause more harm if consumed by a pitta prakriti regularly.
This AFCC program prepares you to understand the basic concept of ayurveda, how it views the human body and how you can use the tools to customise lifestyle and nutrition for yourself and your family. The AFCC is a pre-requisite course for the ayurveda Nutrition Foundation Course (ANFC) program. The AFCC program will set the stage and prepare you to understand the fundamental principles of ayurveda.
At this program you will learn the theoretical principles of ayurveda as well as how to apply these principles to design a customised diet and lifestyle for your family and friends. You will also learn some commonly used sanskrit words in ayurveda context.
The AFCC is a pre-requisite course for the ayurveda Nutrition Foundation Course (ANFC) program.
AFCC Course Structure (20 Hours)
Language : English with Chinese Translation
Certificate of Attendance by Ayurveda Association of Singapore (AAOS)
1. ayurveda concept of Health
- Human as seen from the lenses of ayurveda
- ayurveda definition of health
- Why ayurveda and yoga are integrated science
2. Brief Overview of ayurveda
- ayurveda philosophy and classical texts
- 8 branches of ayurveda (ashtanga ayurveda)
- Commonly used ayurveda terminologies
3. Fundamental Principles of ayurveda
- Key to understanding ayurveda is the panchamahabhuta and dosha
- 5 Great States (panchamahabhuta)
- tridosha (vata, pitta, kapha)
4. Ayurveda Constitution Type (prakriti)
- Overview your true nature ie individual trait (deha prakriti)
- Overview Imbalance (vikriti)
- How vikriti is used to bring body back to its prakriti
5. Structures that support the body
- dhatu – that which supports the body
- mala – 3 natural by-products
- srota – channels that transports nutrients
- ojas – the immunity factor
6. Digestion (agni) and ama
- 13 types of digestive fire (jatharagni, bhutagni, dhatwagni)
- ayurveda digestion and dhatu formation
- ama and disease formation
7. Mind : An ayurveda Perspective
- ayurveda Mind wellness (manasa roga)
- sattva rajas tamas (manasa prakriti)
- panchabhuta and manasa guna (mind quality)
- dosha and mind quality (manasa dosha)
8. Routines for Health and Wellness
- ayurveda and rasayana (rejuvenation)
- dinacharya (daily routine)
Live Q&A session (1 hour)
For Homestudy program there will be live Q&A sessions conducted 1x a month. It will give students time to review ALL the materials and ask questions.
20 hours of AFCC include online home study, assignments and live Q&A sessions.
Certificate of Attendance by ayurveda Association of Singapore (AAOS)